I Got a Job!

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Today I am going in for my first day of work at my brand new job! That's right! I FINALLY got a job! This unemployment thing is no more!

The craziest part of this whole thing is to realize that it has been eleven months and two weeks since I lost my last job in Roanoke. Yes, we were doing the magazine thing, and I have picked up a bit of freelance along the way, but I haven't had to get up, get dressed, and be in an office all day in nearly a year. And that is crazy.

I interviewed for this job nearly two months ago. Since then I have been doing between 20 and 30 hours of freelance design work for them and going in on Fridays for about an hour to hand off completed jobs. A couple of Fridays ago they told me that they wanted to hire me full time and they were 99% sure they could give me the job by the end of August. I received my official offer last Friday, August 30th.

Because of the sudden start date I made sure to make the most of my last few days of freedom. I went shopping for all sorts of new work clothes, mainly because I hadn't brought anything remotely professional with me. (Remember how I pretty much took everything I owned to Goodwill and we brought barely anything to California?) Pants, shirts, shoes, the whole nine yards; I sort of felt like I was shopping for "back to school" going all out like that. I even went and had my hair trimmed on Saturday. And this morning really felt like getting ready for my first day of school. A whole lot of time off will do that to you!

So here's to my first day back in a real office! I hope it will be wonderful!