One Week In...

Monday, September 9, 2013

I'm one week into my new job and I've been so busy and productive that I haven't even had time to think about writing about it! I have quickly adjusted to the 8 to 5 lifestyle, but that could just be the newness of it all keeping me excited. I could totally be dragging in about a month, just dreading the alarm, but right now I'm up bright and early, caffeinated, and sitting in my desk 10 minutes early.

Well... a big reason for me getting there early is because we're still a one-car household and Dan has to drop me off on his way to work, but that's about to change. He finished his motorcycle license certification class last weekend and we're about to dive into that world head first. Oh gosh. I never imagined in a million years we would own a motorcycle... this should be interesting! But more on that later...

Anyways, I really like my job and my coworkers. I'm a graphic designer / production artist and the company I'm working for is an alcohol distributor... uhhh, totally not somewhere I ever imagined myself working haha! But the position is pretty awesome! I work for the in-house design and print shop where we create drink menus, banners, posters, and anything else that needs to be designed and printed to advertise alcohol-related things to patrons of our businesses. Basically, those drink specials cards and booklets on the tables at restaurants... that's me! I feel like I have really grown as a designer already, even only after a full week in-office and six weeks as a freelancer. It's amazing how much of a difference consistent practice can make! And it's pretty cool working with big brands like Jack Daniel's, 1800, and Bacardi; this work will look great in my portfolio!

I'm off to enjoy the last couple of hours I have for myself this evening. I guess this (the not having much "me" time thing) is what will take some getting used to!