The Melrose Trading Post & Hollywood

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

The weekend before I started my new job was the same weekend that Daniel was taking his motorcycle license certification course. This ran from noon to five both days; Chelsea and I had the option to either hang at the apartment car-less all day or use those five hours to run around and explore. I decided spontaneously that Sunday morning that we couldn't waste one of my last days of freedom sitting around the house! We dropped Dan off in Anaheim and took off up the 5 to LA.

The Melrose Trading Post is a weekly flea market held on the campus of Fairfax High School. I had been there once in 2005 and it was probably the first "nice" flea market I had ever been to at that point. (i.e. It isn't just people selling junk off their pick-up trucks. Why anyone would go to one of those is beyond me. This is a thing in VA.) Chels and I rerouted ourselves to avoid an accident on the freeway and ended up in south central LA, whoops!, but we easily found our way to the Fairfax area and braved the sweltering heat for about an hour so we could look around. I bought a fun gold California-shaped necklace, and of course I didn't take any pictures. Other than this one, in the bathroom...


I really have to start carrying my actual camera around with me, because these cell phone photos just don't cut it. (Just how many times have I said this to myself, exactly?)

When we couldn't take the heat anymore we headed over to Hollywood so Chelsea could have the full tourist experience. This was her first trip to LA, and you have to see the sign, right!?

On our way back to the car we spotted a mural by Sand One. Love it!


We hit the Walk of Fame, the Chinese Theatre, and Hollywood and Highland for crepes. Kind of nice that we can just "explore for a few hours" by just going up to LA for the day! And the best part is that our commute was only an hour each way that day! Score!

 Chels took this one! ^
Last one via Chelsea's Instagram