One Year Ago Today

Monday, May 26, 2014

My mind was blown last week when Dan mentioned to me that it had been one year since we pulled out of his parents' driveway and "got really lost on our way to the grocery store." After a moment I got it... May 22, 2013 was the day we started our cross-country trek towards California. Today, May 26th, marks one year since we arrived and started our new lives on the West Coast. How did that year pass so quickly!?

It's amazing to me that it has been one whole year. I have so many thoughts about our last year here that I couldn't even begin to go over it all in one post. It has definitely been a year of growth, discovery, and self-reflection. I've dealt with the deep pangs of homesickness, learned a lot about myself (both good and bad), and developed a truly deep appreciation for my roots. I didn't think I could love or miss home more than I did before we came here; I was so wrong.

Of course I couldn't celebrate our one year anniversary of living here without going back to my old blog and reading all of my posts from our trip across. And of course I can't help but to share a few of those old memories here, too.

"Us in our super heavy packed car. Like, don't open the trunk or something might fall out and kill you, and don't lay the seat back because it's impossible. Have I mentioned that we are only bringing what would fit in our car? We sold or packed away everything else. This is it. We are nuts."

This is us in the car, just pulling out of town. I really appreciate the caption, which I copied from the original post from that day. Below are a few of my favorite photos from our trip across the states.

Looking Back: Our move across the country from Virginia to California | Em Then Now When
Looking Back: Our move across the country from Virginia to California | Em Then Now When
Looking Back: Our move across the country from Virginia to California | Em Then Now When
Looking Back: Our move across the country from Virginia to California | Em Then Now When
Looking Back: Our move across the country from Virginia to California | Em Then Now When
Looking Back: Our move across the country from Virginia to California | Em Then Now When
Looking Back: Our move across the country from Virginia to California | Em Then Now When
Looking Back: Our move across the country from Virginia to California | Em Then Now When

Looking Back: Our move across the country from Virginia to California | Em Then Now When I love watching the landscape change throughout our photos. I'm also so grateful for where we are in life right now, and so grateful for this entire experience. It truly has been an amazing year.

6 comments:

  1. Would you say doing a cross-country road trip is worth it? It always sounds and looks SO fun and I keep being tempted to do so, but honestly I've driven enough stretches of highway (like from LA to SLC or SLC to Jackson, WY) to know that eventually I just get sick of driving!

    What do you think?

    <3 Daryl
    Unlost
    New Post: What Does Success Mean To You?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! That's a tough one. Of course, it's one of those bucket-list "things you have to do," and it was incredible (I've done it twice!) but I will admit, there are loooong periods of nothingness between the great, photo-perfect moments. I actually starting counting road-kill at one point, ha! I think if one could do bits and pieces it would be fantastic, places like Nashville, TN and Amarillo, TX spaced apart only by an intersection. I'm sure all of those other places we passed through are incredible in their own ways, but some of it is booooooring. But I think it's all about the experience, the journey, and who you're with. If you want to take an incredible roadtrip maybe try the Pacific Coast Highway from Oregon to California, or the Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia and North Carolina; (a personal favorite, but I'm biased!) There are always better ways to spend your time than in a car! Route 66 was cool too, but the road isn't in good condition and the sites on that are still few and far between.

      Delete
  2. Very nice pictures !! Would you like to follow each other?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one very long trip you undertook. I'm happy to read that you've landed well in California. To a European, living in Cali sounds like a dream. I always imagine it as a place with gorgeous weather, pools in every back yard and palm trees everywhere, haha. To a European, trekking all across the states seems like a dream too, but I don't think I'd handle a trip that long in only 4 days too well! xo

    ReplyDelete