Olvera Street

Sunday, February 8, 2015

Olvera Street, the original Los Angeles | Downtown LA, California | Em Then Now When
Chelsea and I headed to Los Angeles yesterday with the intention of grabbing a quick bite to eat and then heading on to the Getty Museum. Instead, we ended up so enamored with Olvera Street that we skipped the Getty and spent our day in Downtown LA.

Olvera Street is a pedestrian-only Spanish market street and the oldest part of Los Angeles, originally settled by the Spanish in the 1780's. The history of this place is really fascinating, as foundations of places like this usually are. The city of Los Angeles began restoring and preserving this little district in the 30's and boasts that many of the market owners are descendants of the original families that settled there.

We had what was possibly the best Mexican lunch I've ever had at El Paseo Inn (yum, enchiladas!) and then we wandered around the market, buying conchas, churros, and tamales to take back home. I just love being surrounded by Spanish / Mexican culture here, and I don't know how I'll deal with not having legit Mexican food when we're living back on the East Coast one day. (Seriously, I've tried while visiting... there is just about nothing more disappointing than the Mexican food in Virginia... even the "authentic" stuff. So disappointing.) I will be adding Olvera Street to my list of "places to take visitors" for when we venture into LA. And I'll probably be going back to El Paseo, too, with or without guests!

Olvera Street, the original Los Angeles | Downtown LA, California | Em Then Now When
Olvera Street, the original Los Angeles | Downtown LA, California | Em Then Now When

Olvera Street, the original Los Angeles | Downtown LA, California | Em Then Now When



Olvera Street, the original Los Angeles | Downtown LA, California | Em Then Now When
Olvera Street, the original Los Angeles | Downtown LA, California | Em Then Now When

Olvera Street, the original Los Angeles | Downtown LA, California | Em Then Now When

6 comments:

  1. Olvera Street seems like a charming place! I love Mexican food but I don't think I had already tasted authentic Mexican food although some of the restaurants I have tried in my country says their food is authentic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so charming to be so small! I always just "sort of liked" Mexican food, until we moved here! Now I could eat it every day!

      Delete
  2. My boyfriend is all about the Getty museum. He wants to go back to LA one day just to visit again. And when he does I hope he takes me with him, so we can stop by Olvera street too, because you've got me all excited about the place. If you think the Mexican food in Virginia is bad, you probably can guess how bad it is in Europe, haha. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I can only imagine! Even people here from northern CA say theirs isn't any good either. I guess it's all about proximity!

      Yes, make him bring you to LA! Visit Olvera Street for sure, it's right across from the main train station so it's hard to miss and easy to get to! And then take a train down or up the coast! I highly suggest our gorgeous OC beaches and beach towns (Laguna! Huntington!) and absolutely love San Diego too! (Gaslamp Quarter! Old Town! La Jolla!)

      Delete
  3. This looks so good! And the weather is unbelievable down there! We're freezing here in NYC. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie! I'm aching to go back and eat again soon! ha!

      Believe it or not, I sure do miss the changing seasons! I'm so jealous of the snow my family in Virginia has right now! I know it's nothing like what you have in NY, but it's snow nonetheless!

      Delete