A Glimpse of Newport Beach

Friday, April 24, 2015

A Glimpse of Newport Beach, Orange County, Southern California

Newport Beach is unfortunately one of the close-by cities I haven't spent much time exploring. I know that the peninsula stretches on far beyond the little part of the beach where I usually end up parking, but with so many beaches and towns around, I just have to accept that I cannot see it all. Fortunately, the area right around the Newport Beach Pier is charming enough. With the bay full of yachts and sailboats behind you and the beach ahead, it's a great place to get out and wander around. When a former coworker asked me if I wanted to meet her there for lunch a few days ago I was eager to get out of the apartment and to the oceanfront.

On a chilly weekday it was easy to park near all of the restaurants lined up down the short boardwalk. As I stood waiting for my friend to arrive I took in the various typical Southern California beach scenes. Joggers, skateboarders, surfers, bicyclists... bicyclists steering with one hand and holding onto their sandy surfboards with the other. I don't participate in the local beach culture here, but I sure do enjoy watching it!

A Glimpse of Newport Beach, Orange County, Southern California
A Glimpse of Newport Beach, Orange County, Southern California

We had lunch at a bar called Mutt Lynch's, a very loud and fun place I've visited many times when I make it down to Newport. Their sweet potato fries with sweet chili sauce are awesome and they serve ice cold beer and cider in huge schooners. But since it was 11:30am, I refrained this time. ;)

Mutt Lynch's Bar | A Glimpse of Newport Beach, Orange County, Southern California

A Glimpse of Newport Beach, Orange County, Southern California
When we were finished with lunch we wandered around on the beach and pier, snapping photos and continuing to catch up. After a short while we stopped in Newport Coffee Company for cold brew iced coffees. Even though it was a small space, this was the type of coffee shop I could spend hours in just talking with friends or working away from home. That may actually be something I should do sometime.

Newport Coffee Company | A Glimpse of Newport Beach, Orange County, Southern California
A Glimpse of Newport Beach, Orange County, Southern California

A Glimpse of Newport Beach, Orange County, Southern California

A Glimpse of Newport Beach, Orange County, Southern California

A Glimpse of Newport Beach, Orange County, Southern California

A Glimpse of Newport Beach, Orange County, Southern California


I did a few head shots of my friend and she returned the favor. I'm so awkward in front of a camera, but I may get around to posting some of those at another time!