This Was All Just Temporary

Monday, April 20, 2015

Jacaranda Tree of Southern California | Em Busy Living "This Was All Just Temporary"

I knew that this was all just temporary, but I hadn't really let on to that fact with many people. When we moved to California almost two years ago and we told people of our plans, "it's just for a year" was always something we tacked onto the end of that story. Within a month of arriving Dan and I knew we were in trouble... we loved it too much already and the idea of only spending a year here almost made us panic. Maybe we'd stay two? Maybe even three!

Staying permanently was never an option. We're both too family oriented to intentionally move 2,500 miles away from our parents, siblings, and extended family and want to stay there. This was just for fun, which is a bizarre concept for a lot of people back home. "You moved... for fun?" Yes, absolutely, we moved for fun! And we'll do it again, in just a few months. This is our one and only life and moving somewhere exciting for a little while was one of those things I didn't want to look back on and regret not doing! Mission accomplished.

Our fourteen month lease (which is common here, apparently) will be ending the first week of August and we'll be packing our bags and selling off our furniture to head back to the East Coast. We will have lived here for two years and two months. (Two and a half months actually, but who's worried with specifics?) Two years was a good amount of time. We spent the first year just trying to get settled, so I'm glad we didn't pack up and leave while we barely felt like we'd been here!

California has been a wonderful thing for us. It is the first time Dan and I have only had each other. We've had our awesome roommate Chelsea, of course, but we haven't had the daily support and availability of our family and friends while we've been this far away. It has been a growing experience for both of us and I am so glad we've had it.

But it's time to move on! We have finally settled on where we'll be moving next, but I'm afraid that announcing it this early may jinx our exciting plans. There are some family members who still do not know which city we have chosen from our two options, so I think it best to tell them first. Now is the time to enjoy what little time we have left, so I plan on spending the next three and a half months trying to fit in every little thing I saved for another time. There are absolutely many things on our "California Bucket List" that we didn't manage to cross off, but that's okay. We will definitely return later in life, especially to visit with family in San Diego and to see the friends we've made in Orange County.

For all of you following my blog, have no fear! I promise our next destination will be equally, if not more, exciting!

The jacaranda trees are blooming early this year and I'm already nostalgic for them. The first day we arrived in Orange County the jacarandas were in full bloom and I will always think of them for that. They are gorgeous, full and purple, and leave a terrible but beautiful mess of blooms all over the ground. (This must drive Californians crazy; not a single leaf should remain in a parking lot, for heaven's sake! Quick, grab the leaf blower!) I know that watching these trees turn from purple to green as they shed their petals this year will bring me some sadness because it will probably be many years before I can see them in bloom again. I just love them, and I love what they represent: the passing of time and the beginning of a new chapter.

Jacaranda Tree of Southern California | Em Busy Living "This Was All Just Temporary"
Jacaranda Tree of Southern California | Em Busy Living "This Was All Just Temporary"
Jacaranda Tree of Southern California | Em Busy Living "This Was All Just Temporary"