The Canals of Venice Beach

Thursday, May 7, 2015

The Venice Beach Canals of Los Angeles, Southern California

The Venice Canal Historic District is a part of Venice Beach that some may pass unknowingly if they stay on the boardwalk during their visit there. I know now that we actually drove right over a canal bridge on Washington Boulevard without ever realizing we'd done so, crossing them without even glancing over. But once you're on the ground walking around Venice, I highly encourage leaving the main stretch of touristy shops and heading away from the beach.

Grand Canal is just three blocks east of the boardwalk, hidden behind homes and bountiful gardens that spill over from yards and onto the small sidewalks that line the waterfront. The canals themselves aren't that wide or deep, but they are deep enough for small self-propelled boats and kayaks. These sweet little forms of transportation line the canals, tied to the smallest docks I've ever seen. The homes lining the canals are so fun, with beautiful little gardens that are perfect for entertaining and lounging, complete with picnic tables, grills, and lawn furniture that I would plant myself in and never leave. I walked by and dreamed of the get-togethers I would have with friends if any of these homes were mine, imagining our friends from back home gathered around the tables with cold beers while we grilled and enjoyed each others' company. Oh, how I miss our friends from back home. I believe if I had unlimited funds and had to choose where in Southern California to buy a house, I'd choose to buy one along these canals, tied with a home with a view in Laguna.

The Venice Beach Canals of Los Angeles, Southern California
The Venice Beach Canals of Los Angeles, Southern California
The Venice Beach Canals of Los Angeles, Southern California
The Venice Beach Canals of Los Angeles, Southern California
The Venice Beach Canals of Los Angeles, Southern California
The Venice Beach Canals of Los Angeles, Southern California
The Venice Beach Canals of Los Angeles, Southern California
The Venice Beach Canals of Los Angeles, Southern California