Weekly Roundup

Friday, June 26, 2015


Time is moving much too fast lately! Nothing made this more clear than seeing Chelsea and Audrey cat leave for the east coast on Wednesday night. Dan and I came home and were suddenly so sad; no Audrey sitting in the window watching us walk towards the apartment; no Chelsea yelling "heyyyy!" from her room when we walked in; no Audrey flopping down on the floor in front of us wanting rubs and loving. The only way to keep ourselves from getting to upset was to start taking things apart. We took apart her bed (which we're taking back east with us) and started boxing up small appliances we don't use often. I found a few of Audrey's toys and that made me really sad. How were we making so much noise without her nosing in to see what all the fuss was about? We didn't know how it would really affect us, having them gone, but it definitely hit a lot harder than expected.

I wrote a post on Wednesday as 'An Ode to Chelsea.'

We're supposed to be here until August 1st, 35 days from now, but we may just up and leave a little bit sooner. Why not? I've been listing things on Craigslist and packing up things we can ship to my parents' house ahead of our move. I think I could do this thing in three weeks if I had to; I've done it in less time!

In other news, my cousin proposed to his long-time girlfriend last night! About time, Justin! Also, how are you not still just 12? When did this growing up thing happen?

ICYMI, I'm doing my first ever giveaway! You know the book I've been talking about for weeks? The one my friend Claire wrote and I did the layout and design for? "When Faults Collide" is real and finished and I'm giving away one paperback copy to whoever wins my giveaway! The giveaway is open and taking entries until the end of the month (next Tuesday.) There is also a discount code good for $4 off until next Tuesday as well. The Kindle version is available for pre-order and will be available starting July 1st! You can enter here! Only 153 entries? You guys can do better than that!

It's been a really busy week so I haven't been exploring the internet like I usually do, but anyway...

Reading
  • Tiny Beautiful Things: Advice on Love and Life from Dear Sugar by Cheryl Strayed (author of Wild). I just started reading this last night, but I'm so very much in love with it so far! Cheryl took on an advice column for a website years ago called "Dear Sugar" where she anonymously answered readers' most intimate and heartbreaking questions. This book is a collection of questions and her thoughtful, beautiful responses. You really should pick it up! She is so inspiring.

Watching
  • Jurassic World We finally went to see this blockbuster hit last Friday night! As a 90's kid and huge fan of the original (no matter how much it scared me as a child) I was super excited to see this one! It did not disappoint. I really hate suspense, especially when I know something is going to jump out at you, and this one had me feeling like a little kid again, afraid of the big scary dinosaurs. Ridiculous haha.
  • Dark Places (trailer) finally has a US trailer and release date! This movie is based on the book of the same title by Gillian Flynn (Gone Girl) and is her most horrific storyline yet. I don't know why there hasn't been much hype around this one, especially after Gone Girl did so well, but it's only having a limited release in theatres on August 7th.
  • Masterminds (trailer) came out of nowhere and looks hilarious! Starring Zach Galifianakis, Kristen Wiig, Owen Wilson and Jason Sudeikis.

On the Internets