I've spent most of my week cleaning and packing. The apartment finally looks like people live here again! Boxes, both packed and empty, have been sorted in Chelsea's old closet and I've turned the rest of her room into a Craigslist showroom of sorts. Although we toyed with the idea of heading out a little earlier than expected, we've decided to stay through the whole month of July.
‣ Dan's 30th birthday was on Tuesday (the 30th) and he took the day off work. We had waffles and watched movies lazily all morning. I surprised him with a trip to Flightdeck, a flight simulator facility in Anaheim, followed by dinner at Prime Cut Cafe. We had a really nice day celebrating. We're spending Independence Day weekend in San Diego with family and celebrating some more!
‣ Nicole of Snowflakes in California was the winner of my book giveaway! I hope she really enjoys reading When Faults Collide! If you were interested in reading it as well there are four options: paperback from Barnes & Noble, paperback from Amazon, Kindle purchase through Amazon, or free download as a part of your Kindle Unlimited subscription.*
‣ Speaking of books, I posted my June Monthly Reads on Monday.
‣ On Wednesday I shared a few of my favorite souvenirs from our time here in California. I've loved going through some of these things while I've been packing them away!
- I'm still reading "Tiny Beautiful Things." I hope I'll finish it soon and find more time to read this month as a way to wind down in the midst of all of this packing chaos.
- This Is All Now feat. Jason Lancaster, "24 Hour Nights." I love Jason in pretty much every musical project he's been a part of. If you've ever listened to Mayday Parade, Go Radio, or even his solo work, you know how amazing his voice is. I don't know anything about the band "This Is All Now," but he definitely brings them the same magic that all of his past work possesses. Maybe this could be a permanent thing? Love, love, love!
- Inside Out Dan and I went to see this last Friday evening and both really enjoyed it. It's just as charming as everyone is saying!
- Snowden (Trailer) featuring Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Shailene Woodley, & Nicholas Cage, directed by Oliver Stone
On the Internets
- "Woman gives birth, fights off bees, starts wildfire in Northern California." If this isn't the most bizarre headline you've seen all week...
- "27 Gendered Products That Prove Masculinity Is Incredibly Fragile" Hilarious! via Buzzfeed
- Megan from Freckled Italian shared this post about a parody Instagram account whose owner plates junk food like high end cuisine and I can't stop laughing!
- Apparently cilantro aversion is a real, scientific thing! I had never been introduced to cilantro until we moved here two years ago, but I've always had a difficult time trying to eat it. I've gotten to the point where I have to pick it all off or ask for 'no cilantro,' and I'm not the only one!
- Taylor hit the nail on the head with this post.
- This post by Sarah from Venus Trapped In Mars has been making the rounds on the blogosphere this past week and is worth a read for sure!
- I really want to go to the Hunger Games Exhibition in NYC this fall! I need to order tickets ASAP!
- Helene from Helene in Between wrote a great post this week on why bloggers should use Snapchat. I'm pretty late to the Snapchat bandwagon in general, but went on ahead and made it public so I could connect with other bloggers. Follow me: embusyliving
- I've talked before about how much I love The Skimm... it's a once-a-day email with un-biased national and world news, done so well! Quick and easy to understand. You should subscribe! Anyway, they've been interviewing the presidential candidates (and extending the offer to each of them) and they've created a "Skimm Your Candidate" page featuring links to each interview. Very helpful! I personally think it's still a year too soon to be following presidential candidates, but really liked this week's interview.