Weekly Roundup

Friday, July 17, 2015


It's been a wonderful week and last weekend was one of the most wonderful weekends! Do you ever just have one of those weekends where you feel like everything is just perfect? That was last weekend for me. It's been a really long time since Dan and I just went out and spent our time having fun. No groceries or chores, no "what should we do?" followed by an afternoon on the couch. Saturday we went to Pirate's Cove with some friends (Austin & Jeff) and Dan climbed with them while I enjoyed taking photos and exploring the beach and tidepools. We followed that wonderful morning with pizza at Johnny's Real NY Pizza, one of my favorite places to eat around here.

Sunday morning we got up early again and ventured down to Laguna Beach to meet Jeff and go paddleboarding for the first time ever. When we first arrived here in California I quickly declared that I had to go paddleboarding, but just never made it a priority. Now I'm regretting that I didn't do it sooner because I've been wanting to go back and do it again ever since. I think if I'd discovered this when we first moved here I would have even bought my own board. Though I gave it a fair shot, I could never actually stand up on it. I spent most of my time on my knees after attempting to stand once, which resulted in me falling off and swallowing nearly all of the Pacific Ocean. Gross. We followed our exhausting but wonderful morning on the sea with burgers from Husky Boy Burgers. I'm telling you, just one fantastic thing after another.

I've also never felt so accomplished than after this week. Not only did we truly enjoy ourselves without responsibilities hanging over our heads over the weekend, but we've managed to purge and pack so much more this past week without it being stressful in the least. Even our clothes, minus what we'll live in for the next few weeks repeatedly, have been packed away until we land in our future apartment in New York.

Oh yeah, speaking of... I finally announced that we're moving to New York City, if you somehow missed that on Monday! Thank you to everyone who has commented or emailed me with so much shared excitement, encouragement, and kind words. Let me know if you live in or close to NYC, because I would love nothing more than to have a coffee date with you this fall!

Also, my friend Claire is here!! I'm just so excited that she is here. We're going to spend today and the rest of the weekend exploring everything you can in LA and OC in three days. This should be a blast and totally exhausting, ha!

ICYMI

Watching
  • Ascension Dan and I watched this SyFy miniseries on Netflix over this past weekend and were sad that it wasn't an actual full season. While the intro episode was a bit dull to get through, I'm so glad we stuck with it, because like I said, we couldn't get enough. Netflix breaks this three-episode series into 6 "chapters" (read: Netflix episodes.) Here's the blurb: In 1963, the U.S. government launched a covert space mission sending hundreds of men, women and children on a century-long voyage aboard the starship Ascension to populate a new world. Nearly 50 years into the journey, as they approach the point of no return, a mysterious murder of a young woman causes the ship’s population to question the true nature of their mission. But y'all, there's a twist! Just watch it.
  • The Walking Dead, Season 4 I know, we're really behind... but now we're as caught up as Netflix will let us be! It's a shame that AMC does such a terrible job of releasing their shows to Netflix vs when their new seasons come on TV. Why do they wait until S6 is on TV before giving Netflix S5? Wouldn't it make sense for them to let us get caught up so we can catch it live and give them the ratings/ad views? My parents are currently just as confused while they wait for the next season of Hell on Wheels. It seriously makes no sense!

On the Internets