Dear California, Thank You

Saturday, August 1, 2015

Dear California, Thank You | EmBusyLiving.com | Photo by Samantha Polanco Photography

Dear California,

I have so many mixed emotions today. As you read this, we're putting the last few things into our U-Haul trailer, turning in the keys to our amazing apartment, and driving out of Orange County for the last time in a long while. We'll hang out in San Diego tonight, but sometime tomorrow we'll be crossing your border into Arizona and I'm sad to say that I don't know when we'll be back.

We will come back to visit...right? I sure hope so. We didn't make too many friends here but we do have some, and the ones we do have are some of the absolute best people. We have to come back to visit them. And of course we'll be back to hang out with G-Ma and Bill in SD. That's a given. So yes, we'll be back.

We've been here two years, two months, and six days. That's 797 days.

We've done some really fun things in our time here, and I thought I'd list a few of those things out. I love reliving my memories, and two years of them is pretty manageable. Our time here can be tied up in a neat little chapter, with a cross-country road trip at the beginning and end enclosing everything in between.


I've typed many words on this blog filled with nostalgia and wonder at how we've found ourselves here. I've talked openly about my homesickness and how being so far removed from the place I call home has taught me so much about myself. I've figured out how I define "home." The distance from our family and friends back home has been both really difficult and really good for us. I'm ready to be closer, though.

And now we're off to Virginia, then New York City. I have no idea what the next few months will hold for us, and definitely not the next few years, but I'm excited and ready to begin writing that chapter.

I'll miss you, California.
Thanks for the memories.
Love, Em


PS, keep up with our trip home on Instagram and Snapchat (embusyliving) & #CAtoVA