Hellooo September! I honestly can't even believe it's here already. I am extremely excited for fall this year after two years of "fall" in Southern California. I'm ready for actual crisp weather, wearing sweaters, and the gorgeous changing colors of the trees (especially as seen driving through the Appalachian Mountains!) I bought this amazing sweatshirt tee at Loft* a couple of weeks ago and I've been begging the 90˚ heat and humidity to just go away already so I can wear it. I also just bought these Dr. Martins* so I guess you could say I'm totally prepared. Nothing like slouchy sweaters and a good pair of black high-tops to make me feel like myself again!
So you may have noticed that it's September and we're not exactly in New York City yet. When people keep asking us, "When are you moving again?" I keep answering that we've already done half the work and are in no hurry to get the rest of the way. While that is true, there are a few reasons we're not currently unpacking our suitcases or boxes in our brand new apartment yet. #1, there is no apartment yet, and #2, I am still on the hunt for employment. #2 has a lot to do with #1 and one day I'll write a huge long post about just how complicated it is to get an apartment in the city. "Qualifying" and finding one is such a huge barrier of entry that it's a wonder that anyone moves to the city at all. "If you can make it there you can make it anywhere" isn't a well-known phrase for nothing. We actually know we are more than able to afford some of the places we've looked at, but according to the realtors of NY we "qualify" for way less (even way less than we paid in California.) So, TL;DR: I really should find a job before we move to NY so we can get an apartment bigger than a sardine can.
Luckily we're in no rush. While living out of boxes and suitcases isn't the greatest for our blood pressure (or our frequently-stubbed toes) it is pretty great for our bank account, which hasn't felt such a loose grip in quite a long time. So no, we have no idea when we'll be in NYC, but until then we're really enjoying being around family and friends here in Virginia. (We're just talking days or weeks here though...not too long.)
I've had plenty of time to apply for (about a million) jobs this week and applied for one yesterday that I REALLY want! Cross your fingers and say a prayer that they'll take a long hard look at my resume and feel like they really just can't go on without me. When I say I want it bad, I mean like really bad. It's in Brooklyn and I just can't imagine a more perfect position for me in a more perfect place.
- Dan and I spent our five year anniversary at Disneyland on our last day in California and I finally got around to blogging about it.
- One Year Ago: Dan and I spent last Labor Day Weekend in San Francisco and fell in love with the city.
- Narcos on Netflix We've only watched one episode but it was pretty dang good. Has anyone else watched it? What did you think?
- The 5th Wave (trailer) The 5th Wave book series is absolutely one of my favorites and I've been waiting for this trailer fooorrrreeeevvveeerrrrr. It looks so good and I can't wait to see this movie in January! Aliens! Starring Chloe Grace Moretz (Kick-Ass), Nick Robinson (Jurassic World), Alex Roe, and Liev Schreiber (X-Men)
On the Internets
- Google's new logo is being much debated, but hear what these graphic designers have to say about the new look. I rather agree with them!
- This article about the Syrian refugees you've seen a lot about this week is really on point. (Warning: Disturbing Photos)
- This article about copyright and the tendency for websites to steal content and spread it around like wildfire is really important: The Great "Viral Content" Swindle. All bloggers should be concerned about this.
- Jasmine is giving away an Urban Decay Palette and $25 cash as she celebrates her two year blogiversary!
- South Korea has recently been blasting K-Pop across the border into North Korea and it has almost caused war. You can't help but to laugh at this!
- Esther's NYC Food Bucket List has me really excited to get to the city!
- Kate wrote the funniest post about her boyfriend and cotton balls and you need to read it: Tales of Cottontails. Also, fairly sure Kate and I were separated at birth.
So one last thing... I've been toying with the idea of adding sponsorships and ads on my sidebar (besides the two lovely ladies presently there.) Thoughts? Suggestions? I've recently been approved for a New Adproval beta account and I'm curious to give it a whirl!