Our First Weekend in New York City

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

One World Trade Center, the "Freedom Tower" in New York City| Em Busy Living

Okay, so technically this past weekend was our second weekend in the city, but since we spent all of our first weekend here trying (somewhat unsuccessfully) to find somewhere to live, this was the our first free weekend to relax and explore as we pleased.

I have to say sorry...I may have sounded like quite the stressed out complainer in Friday's Weekly Roundup post, but the moment I realized we were no longer actively searching for a place to lay our heads in a few days' time it felt like a million pounds were lifted from my shoulders! Stress levels have gone waaay down since we've landed in this temporary place and I love that!

I finished my first week of work and came "home" (weird!) on Friday night demanding we immediately go out to dinner! It was a celebration of our week, celebration of our jobs, and celebration that we didn't have anything else to do!

We took the subway down to Chelsea and had dinner at The Meatball Shop, which I'd read wonderful reviews of. I've learned that if there's a wait for a restaurant in New York City, there's usually a good reason! Inside was loud, dark, and crowded but we were wowed by our food. We both ordered different dishes and switched plates halfway though so we could enjoy both meals. I ordered beef with mushroom sauce over rigatoni and Dan ordered the spicy pork and spicy marinara over spaghetti. Both meals were so good! We even stayed for dessert: root beer floats and the richest chocolate ice cream I've ever tasted. I highly recommend a visit next time you're in the city!

View of the Empire State Building from Chelsea, Manhattan | Em Busy Living

On Saturday we had lunch at the Tribeca Tap House. Although their food wasn't out-of-this-world spectacular, it was nice to sit and enjoy a good burger and a chill vibe in a place that wasn't totally packed for brunch.

The Tribeca Tap House, TriBeCa, Manhattan, New York | Em Busy Living
The Tribeca Tap House, TriBeCa, Manhattan, New York | Em Busy Living
Bronx Brewery's Belgian Pale Ale | Em Busy Living
Dan highly recommends Bronx Brewery's Belgian Pale Ale!

The Tap House was an easy walk away from Pier 25 on the Hudson River, so after lunch we walked that direction. The view of the new Freedom Tower (One World Trade Center) was spectacular, so we headed downtown towards it. Cue the crowds! We wandered through the tourists who were lined up to visit the 9/11 Memorial and had a peek at the memorial pools that were built where the towers once stood. It was quite surreal; I had never seen them in person before, as the last time I visited the area they were still blocked off with fences. The first time I ever visited New York City the rubble was still insurmountable and crews were still digging down. They have come a very long way.

One World Trade Center, the "Freedom Tower" in New York City| Em Busy Living
North Pool at the 9/11 Memorial in New York City| Em Busy Living

Saturday night was a reunion for me! Dan and I took the train to Williamsburg in Brooklyn and met up with my friend Ada for drinks at the Crown Victoria Biergarten. Ada and I were partners and BFFs in our photography class at Parsons in 2009 and hadn't seen each other since! She's back in Brooklyn now after years at home in Paris and we had so much to catch up on. I hope we'll be seeing a lot more of each other now that we're so close again!

Em Busy Living

Want to know what else thrilled me to death about this weekend? Besides having a really wonderful Friday date night and day of exploration on Saturday... we did normal things on Sunday! Chipotle + laundry + grocery shopping...I can't tell you the last time we went grocery shopping! We have a tiny mini fridge and a tiny stove top, but we cooked our own dinner Sunday night and were so excited to do so. Maybe life is getting a little bit back to normal; it's just a new normal, but I couldn't be more thankful!

No comments:

Post a Comment