Happy birthday to me!! I'm 29 years young today, so let's hope this last year of my twenties goes really well! Chelsea is on her way into the city tonight after work to spend the weekend with us and celebrate...it'll be like we're all back in California together! Except we'll be in New York and won't have half as much room or as wonderful weather. I'm excited!
It's been a long second week in New York. I love that Dan and I meet up after I get out of work and go explore. I came home Tuesday and told him I wanted pizza and it had to be Joe's! We hopped on the train and headed down to the West Village for a slice, followed by a stroll down Bleeker Street and a little people watching in Washington Square Park, which has always been my absolute favorite place to hang out in New York City. If you've ever spent any time there yourself, you know exactly what I'm talking about and why I love it so much. I wish we could live nearby so I could go all the time.
Our friend Ryne moved to the city a couple of years ago so we reunited with him Wednesday night for dinner. It was great to talk to someone from home (Roanoke); someone who knows us, where we're from, and really gets us. It's been hard being in another new city (again) with few friends (again) and I'm so happy to know he's just over in the Lower East Side and willing to hang anytime.
- On Tuesday I shared a bit about last weekend, which mostly consisted of eating and walking and playing tourist in our own city.
- Pride and Prejudice and Zombies I haven't read the so-popular novel of the same title, but this looks fun! Starring Lily James and Lena Headley.
- Suffragette This one looks intense, but I bet it will be amazing! Starring Carey Mulligan and Meryl Streep.
- Big Stone Gap This one is based in (and was filmed in) the town of Big Stone Gap in Southwest Virginia. Everyone back home in SWVA is excited about this; it's rare that big stars make their way to that part of the state! Apparently this one is also based on a book, but I wasn't aware of it. Maybe I'll get my hands on that soon! Starring Ashley Judd, Patrick Wilson, Whoopi Goldberg, Jane Krakowski, Jenna Elfman, and a bunch more!
- Hair, Caesar! This one just looks funny! Starring George Clooney, Scarlett Johansson, Tilda Swinton, Channing Tatum, Ralph Fiennes, Jonah Hill, and so many more.
- Daisy shared Why You Need to Choose a Lifestyle and Not Just a Career. I couldn't agree more! I've been thinking about this a lot lately.
- Casey Still Blogs for Love and I love that!
- Shane shared an amazing post of Ultimate Travel Resources, including many that I hadn't heard of before! Head on over to see what new apps or sites you can discover.
- Kallie shared 8 Simple Ways to Spread Kindness. We could all make an effort to do more of these!
- Samantha gives you a mom's perspective on Flying with Kids.
On the Internets
- There are 158 families funding the current presidential candidates. That's it, and that's scary.
- What all do you know about the Koch Brothers? This article was realllly long and not the most entertaining, but I feel like it was really important and extremely troubling.
- This HONY post broke my heart a little bit.
- An isolated tribe in the Amazonian rain forrest of Peru is emerging...but it's new to us that this isn't new to some locals.
- And this is why a "little bit of rain" makes the people of Southern California absolutely panic. Looks like we left just in time to get away from El Niño.
- Every year my hometown community pulls together and throws a "trucker's parade" to raise money for the American Cancer Society. Big trucks are sponsored by members of the community to add a banner of a loved one who fought cancer (some in honor of those who won, some in memory of those who died) and they drive together in parade form from one end of the county to the other. This year they raised $100,000! This is huge for the tiny little place where I come from! (Video in link if you just can't image it!)