Today is day six of living in Richmond, and I'd say it's going quite well. My parents helped us move into our new apartment last Saturday and we couldn't have done it without them. Dan started his new job on Monday and I've spent the week unpacking, organizing, and settling into our new home.
> So far we've bought a rug. Our living room furniture consists of two bag chairs my parents last used at the lake (and the sand that came home with them) and a huge box that we're currently using as a coffee table of sorts. Thank goodness we at least have our mattress from California. Man, I sure did miss that comfy bed. Some actual furniture should be in our future soon...I hope!
> It took a lot to warm up to this new space. Dan and I laid awake in bed the first night afraid that we'd made a huge mistake in choosing this apartment. There isn't a ton of storage and we're having to be really creative in finding a place for everything, and that's saying a lot because we don't have a lot of things. Though you never really realize how badly you need drawers in your kitchen for utensils and such until you only have two drawers in your kitchen. But we're making it work, even if it has been a big change for us. Even so, I can't wait to take some great photos to share. The natural light in these huge windows is unreal!
> PS - If you follow me on Snapchat you've probably seen a bit of a preview of our new place! Follow me: "embusyliving".
- Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert All hail Liz Gilbert! I have loved all of the books I've previously read by her, and just love her way with words. I can't think of any book I needed in my life more at this moment than Big Magic. I've felt my creativity rising up inside of me over the past few months and I'm aching to let it burst through in some form or another. I feel like reading this right now is a great pre-requisite for that, as well as a nice primer for some of my creative goals for this year.
- Finding Carter Thank you to the Verizon guy for finally showing up yesterday and connecting our internet and cable! I can finally catch up on my Hulu queue (and finally have some alone time so I don't subject Dan to my cheesy teenage dramas). I'm finally starting season two of Finding Carter, and I admit...I love this teenage drama.
- Daisy from Simplicity Relished shared an itinerary for 48 Hours in Seville, Spain.
- Marla from Flight Chick always shares the best curated lists! I love this week's post of her Favorite Things.
- Polly from Let's Love Local shares how to Create Your Own Walking Tour.
- Bri from Design Love Fest shared the most interesting post about faceless celebrities, such as Martin Margiela.
- Jess from Love and London shared 10 Things That Suck About Living Abroad, because nothing is wonderful 100% of the time. (Numbers 3-5 really suck!) (PS, I didn't know you were a JMU girl! Yay VA!)
On the Internets
- Please tell me you've seen this amazing interview of Michelle Dobyne after an apartment fire. And of course, it has been Songified by the Gregory Brothers.
- This story on the Illegal, Underground Ballerinas of Iran is heartbreaking, yet inspiring. It's crazy what freedoms we take for granted.
- I know everyone is sick of numbered lists as articles, but this post on 10 Things Americans Get Wrong About America is actually a really great read. (#2 is a relief!)
- Thank you to Megan from Freckled Italian on her last week's Friday Favorites post for introducing me to the term "Yuccie." I've discovered that I am a yuccie, and I'm not ashamed to say it!
- I'm not necessarily Appalachian (just very rural Virginian) but I really related to this article on Appalachian Code Switching (the conscious changing of accents). Thanks to Beth from Finding Delight for sharing this great post in her Mid-Week Roundup!
- A possible terrorist attack in Jakarta, Indosnesia has fears rising in the largest Muslim population on earth.
- Have you heard of the Seed smart bottle? It tracks your hydration, which is just crazy. 2016, everybody. (I think I need one!)
PS - Today I'm linking up with the VirginiaBloggers.com Friday Favorites link-up! Trying to meet some other RVA bloggers, ya know ;)