Weekly Roundup | SNOWPOCALYPSE

Friday, January 22, 2016


> It's been a slow week over here. I'm aching to dive into some sort of creative venture, but I'm not exactly sure where to start. Help! I'm feeling creatively blocked.

> I had lunch last Friday with an old friend, Katherine, and lunch this past week (at the best Indian restaurant) with one of my old college roommates, Lara. I love that I have friends around here! I especially love when I can walk just a couple of blocks to Shockoe Slip to meet up with them.

> Snowpocalypse! Yesterday I was finally smart enough to look up where Richmond is on the map of Virginia. I have a general idea of course, but I haven't yet learned how to identify exactly where we are based on the outlines of surrounding counties when they don't specifically spell out RVA on the news. Hello, Chesterfield and Henrico counties! According to all those maps, I now know that we should be getting anywhere between 2 and 27 inches of snow. Good to know; I definitely feel more prepared now.

> I chatted with Mireya, my old coworker from California, yesterday. She's from Mexico City originally and we used to have frequent conversations about the differences between where we were from and where we were (Orange County, CA). Of course, Mexico City and OC are very different from Virginia, and the weather is just one of the major standouts. She was laughing over the idea that we can no longer find a loaf of bread in the grocery stores here, and the whole "milk sandwiches" joke was all new to her. I keep sending her memes like this, this, and this. I also suddenly realized that all of our power lines in Orange County were underground—which is a crazy thing to just notice—but she was also shocked to hear that an impending snowstorm of this magnitude could knock out our electricity for several days.

ICYMI
  • I was excited on Monday to finally share photos of the "Dressing Downton" costume exhibit mom and I visited in Richmond back in November.
  • On Wednesday I very randomly decided to write and share this post: Let's Talk About Adoption + A Survey. Feel free to hop over and see what that's all about. I've received some very in-depth questions so far (thanks!) and I'm trying to decide how to dive into sharing some of those and my answers in future posts.

Reading
Obviously, I've had a lot of time on my hands this week. I flew through both of these books in four days. If I keep this up, I'll definitely surpass my reading goal for the year!
  • The Girl on the Train I finally got around to reading this huge hit from last year, and yes—it is just as well done as everyone has been saying. I could not solve this mystery myself until the characters starting solving it, keeping me guessing and changing my opinions on what happened many times along the way. If you like a good mystery, you'll love it.
  • Red Queen This book was very different than anything else I've read in a while. I was warned that his fantasy story would have some similarities in themes as some other books I've read, but I think it's really unfair to judge a book on comparisons and prefer to let books stand on their own...and it lived up to that expectation for me. Everything about the world that this story was set in was unique and took a lot of imagination. I can't wait for book two to come out next month!
Keep an eye out...I'm bringing back my Monthly Reads post of reviews at the end of this month!

Blog Love

On the Internets

No comments:

Post a Comment